Learn More About The Nature Conservancy
Vision and Mission
Protecting nature, for people today and future generations.
The mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends.
Our vision is a world where the diversity of life thrives, and people act to conserve nature for its own sake and its ability to fulfill our needs and enrich our lives.
How do we achieve this mission and vision?
- Through the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, including more than 600 scientists, located in all 50 U.S. states and more than 35 countries.
- With the help of our many partners, from individuals and governments to local nonprofits and corporations.
- By using a non-confrontational, collaborative approach and staying true to our five unique core values.
That’s how The Nature Conservancy has done more than anyone else to advance conservation around the world since our founding in 1951.
What We Do
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
We address the most pressing conservation threats at the largest scale. Thanks to the support of our more than 1 million members, we’ve built a tremendous record of success since our founding in 1951:
- We've protected more than 119 million acres of land and thousands of miles of rivers worldwide — and we operate more than 100 marine conservation projects globally.
- We work in all 50 states and more than 35 countries — protecting habitats from grasslands to coral reefs, from Australia to Alaska to Zambia.
- We address threats to conservation involving climate change, fresh water, oceans, and conservation lands.
Why We're Successful
It's who we are and how we work that has made the Conservancy so successful — and makes us optimistic that we can expand that great conservation work to meet the challenges ahead:
- Everything we do is rooted in good science — aided by our hundreds of staff scientists.
- We pursue non-confrontational, pragmatic solutions to conservation challenges.
- We partner with indigenous communities, businesses, governments, multilateral institutions, and other non-profits.
- We have the support of more than 1 million members who enable us to continue working on a scale that matters and implement solutions that endure.